Rain insurance coverage is one of the most popular types of coverage offered by Eventsured. This type of coverage works well in several different scenarios including outdoor festivals, rodeos, film productions, concerts, etc. Whether you are looking to protect an event from lost revenues and/or unrecoverable expenses due to rainy weather, Eventsured can provide a rain insurance policy that protects your bottom line.
Rain insurance for events is a great way to protect any outdoor event from lost revenue and/or unrecoverable expenses due to rain (i.e. reduced ticket sales, concessions, rental of tents, etc.).
Based on: Rainfall
This policy is designed to cover an insured if a certain amount of rain (as determined by the insured) were to fall during the selected time period. This allows the insured to decide what hours they need coverage for and how much rain would need to fall in order to negatively impact their event.
Threshold – Total rain accumulation per day needed to trigger a claim during the covered hours.
- 1/10 (.10) Inch of Rain – A light rain for 30-40 minutes, moderate rain for 10 minutes or heavy rain for 5 minutes. Small puddles would form but usually disappear after a short while.
- 1/4 (.25) Inch of Rain – A light rain for 2-3 hours, moderate rain for 30-60 minutes or heavy rain for 15 minutes. Many puddles on the ground that do not disappear easily.
- 1/2 (.50) Inch of Rain – Moderate rain for 1-2 hours or heavy rain for 30-45 minutes. Deep standing water for long periods of time (a light rain never reaches this amount).
- 3/4 (.75) Inch of Rain – Heavy rain for 2-4 hours. Deep standing water for long periods of time (a light or moderate rain never reaches this amount).
- 1.0 Inch of Rain – Heavy rain for several hours (2-5 hours). Deep standing water for long periods of time (a light or moderate rain never reaches this amount).
*The descriptions are offered as a guide since many variables such as terrain, drainage and intensity can alter the descriptions.
A Few Rain Insurance Scenarios
When you are planning an event, you should always prepare for the unexpected! The following events were saved with rain insurance.
The night of the outdoor fundraiser a severe rainstorm hit, triggering a rain insurance claim by meeting the 0.25” rain threshold between 4pm-9pm. The last minute costs of the tent and portable flooring would have reduced the amount donated or canceled the event but rain insurance was in the budget and the insured amount covered the weatherproofing.
Cost of Rain Insurance: $3,845*
Cost of weatherproofing: $50,000
The whole day had consistent light to moderate rain triggering a rain insurance claim by exceeding the 0.33” rain threshold during the shoot, 7am-5pm. The insured company had to pay the production company rain or shine but needed a sunny day to shoot the commercial. Although the insured did not get their commercial, the rain insurance covered their costs.
Cost of Rain Insurance: $970*
Cost of the production company: $50,000
The last day of the Tractor Pull, a HUGE thunderstorm rolled through triggering a rain insurance claim by meeting the 0.50” rain threshold during the peak hours, 10am-8pm. The client collected the insured amount and was able to cover all the expenses that would have been covered by concession and ticket sales if it had not rained.
Cost of Rain Insurance: $2,265*
Cost of the Tractor Pull expenses: $50,000
*Pricing is based on several variables, including the date of the event, the amount of rain, the recording hours, and location.